Monday, October 11, 2010

sneezes, snuffles, and coughs (oh, and a wedding)

Ugh... Here we go again. I have gotten so sick so many times this year while working in Pediatrics. By the time I'm done I should have a superior immune system.

My work paid for me to have a flu shot which was great. Many people have this distorted view that if you get a flu shot you'll get even sicker which makes absolutely no sense I don't know who first came up with that ridiculous idea, but I'm glad that because of the flu shot those are not illnesses I'll have to deal with this year.

Last Friday ( 10/08/2010) I work up at 3am with my throat on fire. I got up drank some water and looked at my tonsils they were large and red but there were no white spots. I took some ibuprofen and went back to bed.

I woke up at 6am when my alarm went off and still had a sore throat but I could also feel a fever, so I called in sick to work. I have no business making other patients sick (even though I probabally got sick after being exposed to something at work).

This was a terrible time to get sick. My roommate from the Hillsboro area, whom I lived with during PA school was getting married the next day in the Portland Temple. I really wanted to be there, but I wasn't sure I'd make it.

I texted Barlow, and said I was not sure I'd be up to going to Portland over the weekend. Barlow has been working night shift doing a remodel at our local Walmart that is being turned into a super Walmart. He came home and we went to sleep and decided to see how I felt after waking up.

At about 1pm I woke up and decided I just HAD to go this was a very important date and I just really felt it was important I go and support my friend Julie. I woke Barlow up who also had a sore throat by this time. We loaded up into the truck with McKay, our dog. We took turns driving and sleeping and eventually made it to a hotel in Lake Oswego which was close to where the ceremony would be the next day. We both slept like rocks.

The Portland Temple

The next day we went to temple and I went to the ceremony after taking a Tylenol and cold medicine. I'm so glad I went because it was beautiful. I'm so happy for Julie I think she is going to be very happy with her new husband Anthony.

We went to lunch with our Oregon friends and then went to the hotel and slept until the reception. The reception was fun. Julie and Anthony met while playing ultimate Frisbee and they spend a lot of time playing board games so there were games on all the tables as center pieces for the guests to play it was such a cool idea. There were also games and gold fish as center pieces. We came home and crashed.
Julie and Anthony at the temple
(Photo curiosity of Jasmine Green)

The next morning, Sunday, we drove back home. I was so sick on the drive I was shivering and coughing just wishing to get home and curl up in bed. We finally made it home about 3pm. We crashed for several hours then I started feeling better and Barlow was nauseated with a fever.

This morning I was feeling much better. I got ready for work but when I got to work the fever was back so I have now come home sick again. I am resolved that when I get better I'm going to take extra precautions to boost my immune system. I'm sick of being sick. I'm resolved to drink a glass of Orange juice daily to exercise and get enough sleep so I'm not as susceptible to all these colds and flu viruses that I keep coming in contact with.


exclusive_remedy said...

Oh, sad that you still aren't feeling too great, but it sounds like you are getting better so that's good. And way to be resolved about being proactive about staying healthy! Good luck! Also, it was good to see you guys, even if it was short for me and you were a little out of it at the time - I always love to see you. Keep feeling better.

Amaree Chloee said...

Get feeling better!